Stephen Palmer was appointed to the Metra Board of Directors in 2016 by suburban members of the Cook County Board. Mr. Palmer, a lifelong resident of the Village of La Grange, is the president of the Stadium Club Restaurant and Bar in McCook. He had been owner and operator of Palmer Place Restaurant, a casual dining restaurant in La Grange, from 1990 to 2022.
Mr. Palmer is a strong believer in community service and as such has served on:
- Board of Directors Illinois Restaurant Association since 1991, Chairman of the Board 2003
- Village of La Grange Community and Economic Development Commission since 1998
- Lyons Township Mental Health Commission since 2013
- La Grange Business Association since 1990 – President 1995 and 2006
- West Suburban Chamber of Commerce since 1990 – President 2008 and 2009
- The Legacy Guild since 2012 raising money for college scholarships for children who have lost a parent.
- 2011 Founder of Brew Moon Beer & Band Fest, McCook. The festival is a unique partnership between business, local government and civic groups with the purpose of raising funds for local nonprofit organizations.
- Founding member of the H-Foundation for Cancer Research 2000-2010
Mr. Palmer served in the Illinois Army National Guard from 1985 to 1990, where he was a Combat Medic and Chemical Op Specialist. He also served as a POC Fire Fighter EMT for the Village of La Grange 1983-1990 and was a Certified Firefighter I &II/EMT.
Mr. Palmer lives in La Grange with his wife Jennifer and two children. They are active members of St. Francis Xavier Parish.