Service animals are allowed on all Metra trains at all times.
Small pets in enclosed carriers are permitted on non-peak period weekday trains arriving in Chicago before 6:31 a.m. and after 9:30 a.m., departing Chicago before 3 p.m. and after 7 p.m., and on all weekend trains. However, there is no guarantee that pets can be accommodated. Train crews have the right to refuse pets in the event of overcrowding.
Metra’s rules for pets are as follows:
- Only small pets in enclosed protective carriers are allowed.
- Carriers will not be allowed to take up seats, seating areas or obstruct pathways on trains or in stations and must be small enough to be carried on by a single person. They must fit in a passenger’s lap or under the seat at all times.
- Metra reserves the right to remove passengers with pets that are noisy or disturb other customers.
- Owners will be responsible for the behavior and cleanup of their pets.
During special events, there is an increased likelihood that pets cannot be accommodated due to overcrowding. Such events include:
- St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Blues Festival
- Taste of Chicago
- Air and Water Show
- During an emergency requiring the evacuation of a train, passengers with pets may be required to leave their pet on the train.
- In the case that passengers with pets are required to get off the train before their destination, reimbursement will be based on the fare product used for that trip.
- Train crews are not required to assist with the boarding of pets. Passengers with pets must be able to board and detrain without assistance.
- There is no additional charge for passengers with pets.